Sunday, July 17, 2011

Stereotypes proven wrong? < click this title to read the latest WestCan Poll

I was never one to believe in stereotypes. I am way to much of a romantic for that. It has always bothered me that the vast majority of  women feel that all men are insensitive jerks. There are lots of men out there that have shed the macho image and embraced their romantic side, we are not all troglodytes ladies.

Well it seems a new national poll has come along to back up my beliefs and put some kind of perspective on this negative way of thinking. I have been in four major relationships in my life, and been in love 3 times... I say three times because I was not in love the first time... the only time, that I was married.

I was in love with the idea of being in love, I was in love with the idea of being married, but I was not in love with my wife, and frankly she was not in love with me. Is it any wonder she cheated on me? I think not, and I never blamed her... I was young, I was immature and I was focused on trying to make the ideal life. Money, success, a loving and adoring wife... we were both in love with  "things"... cars, furniture, clothes, art, entertaining... I did not give her the attention she needed, except to buy her things... and that was fine for her. Until the money ran out, I changed jobs to try to be happy, instead of rich.... and the love affair ended.

But I have been in love. In love so much that I could not imagine my life without the woman I centered my life around. And have been broken, so broken I never thought I would mend. Each time I have dusted myself off and pulled myself out of misery to try again. I have loved to the depths and breadth and height that my soul can reach... literally.

I have learned that love is a two way street, and although I still love all of my loves, in my own way. Although I still long for that reciprocal love that makes for a devoted and loving LASTING relationship, I know that I must not love for the wrong reason, I finally know that it is not enough to love unconditionally, you must get back what you put in.

Men are not all troglodytes, we are not all jerks... women are not all angels and are not all sensitive...

I was told by one of my ex loves... her reason for leaving me was that I loved too much. She was not capable of loving me the way I loved her. Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment